web analytics
An Ancient House - High Street  
Ancient House
Dukes Head
On the reverse of the drawing handwritten in pencil
The original drawing is in the T. P. W. portfolio, which is stated to have been “sketched in the old Duke’s Head through the kitchen window, 19 April, 1838.” [T. P. W. portfolio, held at the William Salt Library, Stafford]
Back in 1838 before indoor running water the only requirement for a kitchen would have been a fire for cooking so any one of the windows could have been the kitchen.
Photograph reproduced by permission of the Trustees of the William Salt Library, Stafford
This drawing of an Ancient House was by Thomas Peploe Wood. Thomas Peploe Wood [1817-1845] was born in Great Haywood, Staffordshire the son of Joseph and Alethea Wood. Joseph Wood was a toll gate keeper and shoemaker.
“This house to be pulled down this summer, May, 1838.” Showing a compact, Elizabethan half- timbered house of three storeys with a central chimney, two gables and a stone porch with half- timbered above. ‘T.P.W., [Thomas Peploe Wood]
In 1838 there was also the Tithe Act survey with a detailed map produced of the village. The only property within sight of the Duke’s Head is shown below.
The arrows on the right indicate possible buildings at the rear of the adjoining property (Horns Inn). These views would have been within sight of the Duke’s Head is shown below.
Click above for home screen
Go back to  High Street